Sunday, November 23, 2014

Battery Dude Grip Stick: A Review

I'm back! After 3 months with no posts (I have a blank draft from October, proof that I sat down and attempted to write!) I'm glad to say that I have access to a decent working computer and a bit of inspiration for a new post.

So here I am with a semi-review of Battery Dude's Grip Stick. The reason I'm calling it a "semi-review" is because I don't think I've mastered the application technique and therefore I don't think I've been able to use it at it's best potential. But let me back up a little bit for those of you that have no idea what a Grip Stick is.

The maker's of the Grip Stick will tell you right on the website:










"The Grip Stick is our way of enhancing grip and control of your hoop. It is an effective alternative to sanding and tape, working similar to wax on a surf-board. Comprised of rubber and plastic polymers, the Grip Stick is non-toxic and does not contain skin irritating compounds."
For a while now, I've read nothing but rave reviews about the grip stick..so I had to check out what the fuss was all about. It cost $7 and came with free shipping. It came to me in just about a week and a half. When it first showed up it was smaller than I expected, but a little does go a long way. It is shaped sort of like a bar of soap:

When I first got it I was obviously excited and tried it out immediately, but I was extremely let down in that first try! It didn't seem to add any additional grip. I felt like I was doing it wrong. After putting a shout out on the Unity of Hula Hooper's facebook group for some guidance, I was told to run it under warm water. Clearly I didn't read the website thoroughly in my excitement during the ordering process because they clearly state that running it under warm/hot water will make it tacky.

So I tried again and noticed a vast improvement for sure. However, I felt like I didn't apply enough and needed to reapply after one use. I think the key with this stuff is mastering the application. So I need to run it under some more water and apply with more force before I can completely rave about the stuff along with everyone else. I'd say it is worth the $7 and a very interesting alternative 
to sanding and taping hoops.

*Happy Hooping*








No comments:

Post a Comment