Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Curried Crab Rangoon

 Everyone has their favorites from their local Chinese eatery. As it happens, we just got a deep fryer for Christmas. This is a blessing and curse. Surprisingly, we've been pretty tame so far. We haven't deep fried everything in the kitchen, yet. We did fry some potatoes, but other than that this was our first experiment.

What you will need:
Wonton wrappers
Cream Cheese
Crab Meat
Curry Powder
Soy Sauce
Worcestershire (optional)
Pepper
Shredded Carrot (optional)
Green Onion (optional)
Oil for frying

I did have an unfair advantage making these. I worked in a Chinese restaurant all through college, and recently I just picked up some more shifts for extra cash. When I wasn't waiting on tables I would be in the back hanging out with the chefs. Chinese chefs are bad ass.

First, you will want to let you cream cheese sit at room temperature for a little while until soft. It is easier to work with. Take your crab meet and cut it into really fine pieces. (We were forced to use imitation crab, because the real stuff is way more expensive..but so much tastier in my opinion.) I actually ripped up small pieces and put it into my food processor.

Mix the crab and cream cheese together. Add about a 1/2 teaspoon each of soy sauce and Worcestershire into the mixture.  Add in the curry powder, pepper, shredded carrot and green onion and make a mixture.

Using a small spoon, carefully spoon the mixture (a bit smaller than a golf ball size) onto the middle of the wonton. Fold one end of the skin to the
 other, forming a triangle. It helps if you sort of press the skin into the cream cheese so it holds together nicely while frying.

Some people like to stop there but I like to kind of fold the sides in like an accordion, like we do at Noodles and Company. It just makes for nice presentation. (see picture.)

Then we pop these into the deep fryer and fry to a couple of minutes until the skins are no longer dough like and are a golden brown.

I love the flavor the curry adds to the rangoons. Some people may choose to omit the curry powder. Somebody else told me they added a spice jelly to the cream cheese, which I think I will have to try next time.

We purchased store bought duck sauce, but I think I'd like to try and make my own in the future. These made me one happy girl. Happy eats people!

No comments:

Post a Comment