Tuesday, March 20, 2012

bye bye new england

Off to a good start.

I was driving up to northern Maine to visit my parents last week. I was having some anxiety and some doubts about my decision to take this trip. I won't lie. Taking a trip like this alone as a young female is very overwhelming. But just when I was about to call it off, I turned up the radio and it was some MPBN program that was dedicating the hour to Jack Kerouac, author of On The Road. When I read that book back in high school I knew I wanted to do a cross country road trip. They spent the hour reminding me of some of my favorite quotes from the book. And I knew. It was definitely a sign. One of his most famous quotes and my personal favorite,
 "the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." --J.K.-- 
So, here I am in Boston. I need to send a huge THANK YOU out to all of my family for putting me up for the past couple of days and for all the generosity. I haven't even had to open my wallet since I've been here. One of my favorite places that I got to hang out was on my uncle Richie's deck with this amazing view overlooking Boston.

My grandma took me out to lunch and shopping at the mall, it was great to bond with such a hip 80 year old lady. I met a musician from Burlington at my aunt's house, almost went to one of his shows in Jamaica Plain but didn't end up making it. My cousin Nikki took me out for bagels and coffee this morning and tonight I'm hanging out with my Aunt and Uncle before I get up early and hit the road for D.C. It will be about an 8 or 9 hour drive and my first big stretch of driving. Pretty nervous to be driving through all of that traffic but I am anxious to explore D.C. for a second time since 8th grade. Thanks again Boston.
peace & love

No comments:

Post a Comment