Monday, December 30, 2013

Out with the old

It's been a few weeks since my last post. Where have I been? I wish I had something crazy cool and exciting to share with you...but It is simply a case of being busy with the holidays and lack of internet access from my house. But I wanted to get on here and post a quick update as well as a farewell to 2013. It truly was a great year. Looking back on all of the great stuff I got to be apart of and things I accomplished. It seems as though I was also faced with some pretty tough personal challenges as well, but I've managed to stick to my guns and move forward -- no matter what. It helps to have a good support system and a belief in yourself and the Universe.

I've been feeling really inspired lately to organize cluttered messes around my house. I think this time of year tends to do that to me. I got some really wonderful new presents from my family for Christmas, and I want to take appropriate time to really appreciate each gift and find a new place for it in my life. I've been sorting through old clothes, make-up, jewelry, files, drawers, cabinets; and getting rid of things that no longer serve a purpose in my life. It has been pretty clarifying. I still have a long way to go but not having internet or T.V. has been a bit of a blessing. I'm finding that I occupy my time a lot more productively. I do miss getting on my blog regularly and being able to write. But I will be back soon, I promise.

My hula hoop class at the Bangor YMCA finished up a few weeks ago also. It was a great 6 months and I had an absolute blast getting to know people in my community and teaching something I am so passionate about. I will be sure to announce when classes will be starting up again.

2013 was the year that I was awakened. Sure, I graduate college in 2011 and went on my epic cross country road trip in 2012. But this year I feel like I started to grow up a lot. I still have so much to learn and a long road to travel before I am "enlightened" or anything of that sort, but I feel like this year I took a deep look into myself. That is not an easy thing to do. When I stare boldly into my soul there are lots of things that I see that I don't like. I actually hate a lot of things about myself. Realizing this was sort of a relief. HEY! I'M HUMAN! I'M PERFECTLY IMPERFECT! (It feels great to virtually shout that out to the internet world.) Honestly, I found myself in kind of sad and lonely state. But I've been slowly digging my way through all of that. It begins by taking better care of myself. I'm trying to focus on doing what feels right to me and not letting other people's opinions bog me down.

And of course this is also a time of year to focus on health. I've certainly put on some pounds since my college days. I have a desk job now, and I sit a lot during the day. I struggle when I'm at the grocery store - how do I know what is the most health? Is it in my price range? It can really be overwhelming. But I find that taking small steps is better than not trying at all.

It will be interesting to see what 2014 holds. I'm certain that it will have it's ups and downs just like every other year in the past, but I'm up for the challenge.

Phish! Summer tour opener in Bangor, ME!

Started riding motorcycle

Hoop workshops with such a great community

Adopting this pup has been one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life

Getting to inspire the next generation of hoopers

Vending and teaching at Aroots

Putting smiles on people's faces with the help of my hoops

meeting new friends
the disco ball at hoop class



And sooo many more wonderful experiences:
~my first metal fest including Five Finger Death Punch and Rob Zombie; made me realize how kick ass that genre of music is and how incredible a live Rob Zombie show is! Can't wait to see him again someday.
~Winning tickets to KahBang and getting to experience the festival with some really good friends of mine, zip lining, hooping, tilt-a-whirl, the line-up and layout of the festival may have been different this year and it DID downpour like a mother on Friday but I still had a great time and I love that this festival has become a tradition for my sister and I.
~Getting a really great new job and away from the restaurant biz. I'm not counting on the fact that I will never have to wait tables again- it will always been a fall back and you never know how secure your job really is - but I'm so grateful to have a wonderful job to come to every day where the people respect the work I do and I have opportunities to learn and grow.
~Getting to Hula Hoop on the local news...
~Having my hoops sold at local retail locations
~hiking a mountain
~performing for a live audience
~getting a new piercing

and continuing to love life and be grateful for each crazy day!
Thank you Universe!

No comments:

Post a Comment