Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Don't forget your roots

I'm 24 and I'm trying to plant my roots.

I've spent the last half of my life on the move. When I was growing up, we moved a lot. For whatever reason. From house to house, from New Hampshire to Maine. When I graduated High School I moved from Fort Kent to Orono and to a new apartment every year, sometimes twice a semester if things were sketchy and not working out..(but that was actually only senior year..)

In the last 2 years since I've been graduated from college, I moved south, to Old Orchard beach. After 6 months, I decided to embark on my road trip around the country for 3 months. And now I'm back in Maine, calling central Maine home. Like I said....I'm 24 and I'm trying to root myself.

This involves being honest in my intentions. Loving the people that I love honestly, outwardly and fully. Not dicking them around with half truths and false promises. This involves finding myself the right kind of work. Sharing my passions. Working at making dreams a reality.

I don't know what kind of career what I want. I honestly don't know where I see myself in 5 or 10 years. It's scary to think about. I'm at a point in my life where I'm ready for the next steps but scared shitless. If it's anything I've learned from all this traveling/moving: get yourself the hell out of your comfort zone. It's not safe there, even though you think it is. You risk the fact that you may never grow.

Of course, I often wonder how my life would have turned out if I had the same childhood friends and hadn't had to move so far away when I was young. I wonder what life would be like if I hadn't moved to that certain apartment and met the people I did. It always ends up coming back to this simple truth: everything happens as it does...as it should.

I am starting a new path in my life. I'm getting uncomfortable. And I'm growing.

1 comment: