Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Holiday Mint Thins

[ . Insert random Christmas ramblings here . ] 
I love Christmas time. I'll admit, I usually get a sweet gift or two from my Mom and Dad. They spoil me...what can I say? But I also really love this time of year because it makes me nostalgic for the simple days of my youth -- when my brother and sister were my best friends in the world and we would try and wait up all night to catch Santa and usually end up passed out all together in the same room with a Christmas movie.

I mostly remember the lights. It was the coziest of places, sitting in my living room as a child with a decorated tree and colorful lights that hung on the walls. There was usually a fire lit, creating a warmth that I will forever miss.

And who could forget the feeling of waking up the next morning with gifts delivered by this magical man that made it around the world in one night. I miss the innocence of youth where anything was possible.

Nowadays I love this time of year for different reasons. I get an excuse to take time off of work and travel to my parents house in Northern Maine and spend time with them. 

[ . End ramblings . ]

Every year I love to make holiday mint thins. I think I found this recipe in The Maine Edge years back, but I honestly can't remember for sure. I even dug through the archives but found nothing. It's pretty simple, inexpensive and VERY tasty.



 You will need:
1 or 2 sleeves of Ritz Crackers
Candy canes, Crushed
Pure peppermint extract
Chocolate, for melting.

Step one. Melt the chocolate. I like to double boil mine. Boil a pot of water and using a small sauce pan, hold it over the boiling water with the chocolate chips, stirring slowly. I also insist on using Ghirardelli  chocolate chips, they are just amazing.

Step two. Once the chocolate is melted, stir in a teaspoon to a teaspoon in a half of peppermint extract. I usually just eyeball it.

Step three. Dip ritz crackers in chocolate until it is well coated.

Step Four. Prior to starting this project, have some candy canes crushed into fine pieces. I break some up and put them in a plastic bag and smash them with a meat pounder. This also doubles as a good way to get out some aggression. Sprinkle the fine powdered candy canes onto the wet chocolate crackers.

Step Five. Place the crackers on wax paper and pop these babies in the fridge.

I usually like to snag a couple tins from the dollar store and give these out as gifts. It's a nice, inexpensive way to spread some Holiday cheer.

Thanks for reading! Coming soon: A post about a fabulously talented girlfriend of mine that sent me a bundle of earrings. I'll be doing a post featuring these bad boys. 
~Hippy go luck hoops

No comments:

Post a Comment