Sunday, July 29, 2012

Potato Pancakes

It's a Sound Garden and potato pancake kind of morning at my house.
There is nothing better than one of those rainy summer mornings that constitute for a really good breakfast.
(Followed by a thorough scrub down of last nights dishes still left in the sink..)


Potato pancakes are a cool way to change up the regular home fries and hash browns. It may take a tiny bit of prep work, but it is so truly worth it.

Ingredients (Serves 2)
2 sm-med Russet Potatoes, peeled & shredded
2 tablespoons flour
1 egg
1 garlic clove, shredded
salt and pepper
dill and chives (optional)

Prep

Pull out of a few potatoes. I used two smaller size russet potatoes that made a total of six pancakes.
Peel and grate the potatoes using a cheese grater.
I also grated a garlic clove which added great flavor.

Potatoes retain a lot of moisture so be sure to give them a good squeeze to drain excess water.

Toss the shredded potato into a bowl. I added a couple  tablespoons of flower and cracked on egg to make a mixture. I also sprinkled in some dill, chives and salt and pepper to taste.

Cook

Heat some olive oil in a pan on the stove. I formed golf ball size pieces out of the mixture and flattened them slightly before placing them into the oil. This step can be a little tricky but I think the key is not to over think it. Just work quickly before it possibly falls apart of gets too mushy.

Let the potatoes fry in the oil until they become a golden brown color. Give them a flip and let them cook on each side.

If you're making a big batch, place the pancakes on a baking sheet and pop them into the oven set to a low temp in order to keep warm. If not, serve immediately. I like mine with a dollop of sour cream. Others might enjoy some ketchup or perhaps some apple sauce.

I made up some scrambled eggs and fried up some ham slices for the lack of bacon in my fridge. The ham was great, it cooks much faster and is less of a mess. I feel like these pancakes might do well as a side dish for dinner some night as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment