Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The evolution of travel

So there was this one time I took an incredibly long journey by myself...I started to plug into google maps some of the spots I stopped along my journey. I got to Montana before I ran out of places to enter in destination points.. The other night I was in the process of falling asleep and surfing netflix when I discovered a documentary about Lewis and Clark. I started thinking about the evolution of travel and discovery. To some, the fact that I drove my car 11,000 miles around the country and slept in the back was completely shocking. However, the entire Northwest Passage was reached for the first time by canoe, horseback, or foot. A women of the Shoshone named Sacagawea had given birth to a baby not too long before going on the expedition with Lewis and Clark, and she raised that baby as a new born on the journey. They explored lands that had never been touched before. I, on the other hand, had the ultimate luxury of my Subaru Outback. It was plenty spacious enough for me to sleep in the back comfortably and fit all the gear I needed for the road. Before I left on the trip my Aunt gave me a necklace that had the gold Sacagawea face on it. My grandfather had gotten it from his assisted living home and told her to give it to one of the grand kids. She chose me because I was going to explore the pacific northwest. The chain on the necklace broke at some point early on the trip and I never found her. I traveled all the way up to Oregon where I was sitting outside with my cousin Veronika going through my box of nail polish that I insisted on bringing on the trip with me. She was digging through the crazy collection of colors in the plastic box that I have owned since I was probably her age, and pulled out my gold coin. "What's this?" She asked. I exclaimed so loudly with excitement when I realized she had found it. The coin must have fallen off of the chain and into my backseat and somehow into the box of polish. Veronika is brilliant and proceeded to tell me all about her and the Oregon trail and everything she knew about the exploration of Lewis and Clark. The coin made it around on my journey with me after all. It is such a small aspect of my trip. But I truly feel it is significant.
Sacagawea

No comments:

Post a Comment