Thursday, May 17, 2012

Oregon Trail

Just when I think that this trip can't get any better...it does. I'm simply amazed.

So I did a bunch of stuff in Oregon to keep busy while my cousins were at school/worked. I spent time at the library blogging and what not. Went and saw the two and a half hour romantic comedy 5 Year Engagement, and yes I was that girl sitting in the back by myself laughing out loud. I gave my car a bath and got the dead bugs off the front. Walked around Hendrix park. Had some delicious lunch at cafe yumm. Chatted with locals. Pretty much the usual.

Wednesday Jeff and I hopped in the car and drove the short drive out to the coast. It was magical. Now I understand why so many people rave about the Oregon coast. It is like something out of a movie. We had fun exploring the tide pools and checking out the star fish. We found a group of sea lions hanging out on the rocks. They were so cute and funny to watch!

After we explored we drove out toe Newport to tour the Rogue Brewery. It was my first time touring a brewery and it was a great, eyeopening experience for a beer lover. I have a whole new appreciation for the work that goes into a quality crafted beer. Rogue is a cool place, and I remember having their 'Dead Guy Ale' back in Maine probably about a year ago, so it was really cool to see where it came from. I want to try brewing my own beer at some point, but it does sound like a very involved process!!

When we got home I headed to the wave pool to meet Veronika. We swam for a while before going home to have a pasta dinner made by my Uncle Glenn. I loved getting to spend time with family I haven't seen in years.

All the kids on the block loved the hula hoops. I gave some away to a few little girls that lived down the street, and one day when I was driving home after a day out exploring I saw them in their yard hooping! I was so excited that I pulled out and hopped out of the car to chat with them. They had me show them a trick, and their mom came out to thank me for the hoops. It made me feel so great that something as small as a homemade hula hoop could make people so happy.


Nobody wanted to let me leave this morning, and I was sad to be moving on. I drove up to Portland and stopped at a Subaru dealer to have my tires rotated and fluids checked. I had an hour to kill so I walked around town. Found this yummy pizza place and had a quick, cheap lunch. Next door was a thrift store that I popped into. Picked up some 'hipster shwag' so I could fit into Portland. Walked over the bridge and went into downtown. Everyone seemed very laid back and happy. It was my city. I love it. When my car was ready I took off en route to Seattle. I think I will save my opinions about Seattle for my next post, as I haven't really experienced much of the city yet. I think its beautiful, but there is something about it that I'm not vibing with. I think it is the part of the city I'm staying in. But that's a complete other story!

Tomorrow I'm headed to Spokane to camp out and begin the 3,000 mile journey back east. The gears of my mind have been grinding HARD; about where I will live this summer and what I will do for work. I have some ideas, and I'm honestly excited to be in Maine for the summer. I have an entire new appreciation for it. Who knows what will happen, but I do know that life is a journey, and just because the trip will soon be over, doesn't mean anything is ending. I feel as though a new chapter is just starting. Peace & lots of love!!


No comments:

Post a Comment