Thursday, August 9, 2012

Harley 1 Deer 0

Alright so, lots of exciting things have been happening. (Or maybe I'm just saying this to excuse the lack of posts I've made in the last few weeks. Hmmm.)

The first installment of my monthly column for Go Girl Magazine finally came out last month. This is a great place for women who travel independently to come together and share stories from the road, tips and tricks and all sorts of stuff from all over the globe about traveling. Check it out, like & share!!

The new job is going swell. I love my hours this summer. I get nights and weekends off, which is a huge first to me as I've always worked in restaurants and anyone that has shared this experience knows that there is no such thing as a weekend in this industry. I sold almost 1,000 dollars of ad space in my first month and I'm excited to learn more and grow with this paper and see what opportunities I can find from it.

I purchased my first LED hoop and finally got my hands on it this week. It is an absolute BLAST. I love the way it lights up and it looks SICK when I snap photos with the night setting on my camera. It was an expensive, but totally important investment. I am bringing myself to a whole new level of hoop love.










The KahBang festival is happening this weekend in Bangor. It's one of the biggest festivals that happen in Maine and this will be my second year attending. I scored a free ticket through my job and get to bring a guest. I'll also be rocking my electric hoop at the fest and I can't wait to rock out with Bassnectar.

Okay, lastly I need to share a somewhat traumatic experience that happened this last weekend.

I've never really been one to believe in heaven or hell or angels or anything of that nature.But my perspective has recently been changed as I truly feel like there is something out there looking over me.

I was riding on the back of a Harley this weekend. We were cruising on some back road after dark when all of a sudden a deer charged at us from the side of the road. There was no way to avoid it and we hit it straight on. The headlight to the bike went out and everything suddenly became black. The deer must have been flung to the side because it hit my leg with it's head. I have a huge bruise to show for it, but other than that we walked away from the accident unharmed.

Gary, the driver, was able to keep control of the bike and hold us up so we wouldn't fall. This was the most miraculous part. I thought for sure we should have been thrown from the bike or at least fallen off. But Gary did a great job at keeping us safe and I'm so grateful for that. He saved my life.

We coasted into some driveway, where I immediately hopped off the bike and fell to the ground once I realized I couldn't put any pressure on my leg. My body was in shock, and I don't think I could really feel much anyway. I just laid on the ground, Gary called the police to make an accident report and also called his father, who came to help us.

I has this very strange feeling of calmness come over me. I don't know if it was the shock or the fact that I was just so completely grateful to have just survived such a crazy accident. But I just sat there, very still, very calm, very grateful. I wasn't upset about any of it. It felt as if someone was with me, someone that helped to keep me calm in a time of horror. I am grateful.

The deer didn't make it and the Harley has probably a grand worth of damage if not more, but I feel like this was a twist in my life. It's time to wake up. I'm not invisible. And someone up there cares about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment